Friday, January 15, 2016

OUGD601 / COP3 / Practical / Group Crit

We had a group crit today for the practical side of our Context of Practice Module. It was good to see where everybody else was up to with their projects!

I brought in all of the mechanised drawings and showed them from the start ( the extremely dense, dark sketch of the hand) to the work yesterday which I'm really happy with.

The group responded really well, which was a relief - it's nice to get confirmation that you're hitting the brief / at least exciting or interesting people.

The group seemed most impressed by the silver ink on black drawings, which I agree are the strongest aesthetically. I have to decide whether they hit the brief as much as the calligraphic ink onto white stock which emphasised the 'mistakes' and inconsistencies of the machine - the fact it does not adjust the pen if the line falters etc.


Billie said something which was interesting... She said they looked very human and in some way warm - which is undoubtedly a strange response to something produced through a machine but is basically the effect I'm trying to convey - some sort of uncanny, uneasy feeling. The drawings should prompt the viewer to debate whether they were hand drawn by a talented individual or produced via a machine. 

This brings me onto my ideas for displaying the pieces... If the images are strong enough to display as artworks (some are, some aren't so far) then this would work in context with questioning the validity of works produced without the human hand. I would say there is little 'skill' in the creation of these images and yet they are beautiful (particularly the silver on black pieces) and I wouldn't like to hand them in as prints with no context or public reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment